Welcome to Nepal

Welcome to Nepal

Sunday 29 April 2007

Tengboche to Namche [Day 18]

Getting stronger and stronger

I have another good sleep. This morning I actually find a sit-down loo in Tengboche (a rare commodity). On the trail again, I feel really strong and am up front most of the time, bounding up the steep slopes.

There is a strenuous ascent through Khumjung to the Everest View Hotel. A number of people start to drop behind and we arrive in fragmented groups.

Toiling up the slope

One of our guides with Mike (on the right)

Dawa - one of our guides

Arduous path to the Tengboche Monastery (Centre)

Everybody finally reaches the top and wander into the plush hotel. Many order drinks and sit chatting, recovering from the rigours of the day.

Before we leave for Namche, there is the usual problem with trying to get a group of people to pay a bill, exacerbated by the fact many are running short of NR. 

Everest View Hotel

After the bill is paid, we descend the mountain side into Namche. We then have to climb up the numerous steps to the Sherwi Khangba lodge.

It has been a very hot and humid day, so if this continues into tomorrow, I think I will trek out in my shorts. It is three days since I have washed and showered properly, considerably more for my Trek D colleagues following their ascent to Base Camp. I therefore anticipate there will some competition for the Namche showers tonight. I will leave my shower until others have taken theirs.

I must also check set aside sufficient funds to pay for my airport departure taxes and tips for the sirdar and porters. I need about 4200NR, leaving me with 700NR and £60 to get me home.

Nice image of the Namche 'bowl'

I enjoy my shower as hot water sluices away the day's filth. I feel like a new man dressed in clean clothes. Tonight the permanent staff are supposed to be organising a 'farewell party' in 'Club Namche'... as there was for Trek C.

No doubt the dynamics will be different with Trek D. I'm not interested in drinking alcohol tonight, nor do I wish to participate in any dance routines. Tomorrow is going to be a hard day walking to Lukla, so the last thing I want is a late night and a hangover, especially since I am only just rid of headaches and nausea.

The evening is as expected. An entertainment evening of drink and Ceroc dancing. It is nice that this has been arranged as a farewell 'party' by the permanent XE staff at Namche, but I believe our group would have been just as content to have a couple of beers and a natter, a few games of pool and then drift off to bed.

Mike and I leave around 2100hrs, although we were encouraged to stay the course. As far as I'm concerned, the proper celebration for Trek D will be the meal in Kathmandu.

We will be up early tomorrow. 0500hrs to watch the sun up on Everest, testing at 0600hrs, with breakfast at 0630hrs and away by 0700hrs.

Night night.

No comments: