Welcome to Nepal

Welcome to Nepal

Thursday 12 April 2007

Kathmandu [Day 1]

Summit Hotel (1,308 metres)

We arrive at Kathmandu (The Summit Hotel) after a very long journey. I didn't enjoy the meal provided on our flight. It was very spicy and keeps repeating on me. I already suffer from an acidic indigestion... following an erosion of the stomach wall many years ago.

Welcome at Summit Hotel

I have lunch at the hotel - a quick snack and copious amounts of tea - and am now going into Kathmandu to take some photos. I wish my wife were here with me to share in this experience.

Testing tomorrow, then a flight to Lukla. Meanwhile, I manage to exchange some US$ for Rupees so all is OK for now. I'm hoping I will sleep well tonight.

Kathmandu

We book a taxi into Kathmandu and during the afternoon, tour the city. It is so noisy and pollution hangs like a London smog of old. A migraine-type headache develops over my left eye making me feel nauseous. This is a worry as I suffer from occasional migraines and this is the last thing I want to have on the trek.

Selling wares
Typical street scene

During the evening briefing, I am massaging my head trying to ease the headache. I take 2 x 500mg of paracetamol at 1900hrs with plenty of water. It is now 2055hrs and the pain is still there, but slightly dulled by the medication. It may be that I need to increase my intake of fluid - and hope the pain will be gone tomorrow morning.

No comments: