Welcome to Nepal

Welcome to Nepal

Wednesday 11 April 2007

Heathrow

To Kathmandu

We arrived much too early at London Heathrow - my normally over-cautious self. Everything was closed down. The airport doesn't come alive until 0600hrs. The traffic on the A1 and M25 etc was very light enabling a really easy journey. We walked through to Terminal 3 arrivals, then to Terminal 1 Departures/Check-In, all to kill time.

As we returned to Check-in for the flight, I recognised Mike and Dennis, two guys I had met on the pre-trek weekend. I went over to introduce myself and also met the trek leader, Debbie. The Check-In went as smoothly as one would want, but when I returned my family decided to depart. It was awful saying 'goodbye' - my wife was tearful and I had a great big lump in my throat.

Heathrow

At security, my backpack was searched - I thought because of my many electrical items e.g. GPS, Solar Panel, Camera, Head torch etc. Not so though, all the security staff were interested in, was whether or not there was any alcohol in my hipflask! Hiking boots had to be removed and scanned - I suppose to avoid any repeat of the action taken by Reid the 'shoe-bomber'. I have no problem with rigorous security measures - much better to be safe rather than sorry.

I sauntered through to Duty Free where I purchased Johnny Walker Red Label for my hipflask and Lucozade Sport for my 1-litre drinking bottle. Boarding has just been announced, but I am still busy squeezing the contents of the miniatures into my hipflask.

The flight out to Bahrain was uneventful. Attentive staff, plenty of drinks and time for rest. I managed to catnap and get a few zzzz's. Two films were broadcast, but neither watched. There was a rather bumpy descent, but a good landing. We passed through security with no problems and emerged into the transit area, which was bedecked in F1 promotional material in readiness for the Bahrain GP - and I spent some time studying the design detailing of McLaren and Ferrari F1 racing cars on display.

McLaren

Ferrari

Wandering through Duty Free, the area oozed wealth. Cartier watches, Gucci bags and other very expensive items were on show. A number of elegant Arabs in flowing white robes were browsing, with their ladies dressed in black and gold.

Bahrain Duty Free

There was disappointment to hear our next flight was delayed by two hours. I am already shattered, having been on the go since 0100hrs... and it is now 2315hrs. I decided to go and purchase a piece of fruit cake and a coffee to cheer myself up and hopefully re-energise

No comments: