Welcome to Nepal

Welcome to Nepal

Thursday 3 May 2007

Bahrain to Heathrow [Day 22]

No more solo adventures

We finally board the Airbus A330 for London Heathrow on time and take to our seats. I was squeezed in the centre aisle between James and Colin with Deborah in the end seat. Promptly all three fell asleep leaving me to play with the entertainment console and screen in front of me.

I discover about 20 channels of various programmes and end up watching something about historic F1... with Jackie Stewart, Niki Lauda and others. A really interesting journey back into time watching some of these old Grand Prix that I remember so well.

The flight was pretty uneventful and I manage to sleep much of the way. I wake just at the time dinner was being served - though many were asleep and missed the meal altogether. This was a much better fare and I enjoy it immensely.

Arriving at Heathrow, I begin to get excited about meeting the family again. I hurry out to baggage reclaim, pick up my holdall on my shoulder with rucksack on my back, say goodbye to each of the team and wander out into arrivals, where my darling wife and son were waiting for me. Much emotion is displayed with hugs all round... and shock at my gaunt look.

My 'once in a lifetime' adventure is finally over.

Memorial at Pheriche to all those
lost on Everest (courtesy of Harriet)

Everest Base Camp (courtesy of Harriet)
Extracts of the route from Everest Base Camp Map

Lukla to Monjo

Monjo to Namche

Namche to Tengboche

Tengboche to Pheriche & Dingboche
Trek D Participants
  • Austin, Colin
  • Bottomley, Nigel
  • Bulmer, Felicity
  • Gallally, James
  • Hall, Geoff
  • Henker, Ralf
  • Innes, Stuart
  • Jacobs, Dennis
  • Jonas, Max
  • Kemp, Harriet
  • Laugharne, Debbie [Expedition Leader]
  • Lee, Stewart
  • Lew-Gor, Simione
  • Payne, Mike
  • Saddler, Julia
  • Selzer, Nikolaus
  • Williams, Nadia
http://www.xtreme-everest.co.uk/

http://www.deborahlaugharne.co.uk/

No comments: